What is airbrush tanning?
A spray tan technician uses a spray gun to apply a tanning solution to the client’s body. The spray gun uses a laser sight to ensure consistent, accurate solution application. The spray gun is attached to an air compressor and the solution is applied in the same form as if one were spray painting.
Is it safe?
Yes. Sunless tanning is a safe and proven method of obtaining a tan. As with any personal product, sensitivity can occur but is very rare. If an individual has ever had any adverse effects utilizing self-tanning products or moisturizers, they might experience similar effects with spray tanning. The active ingredient DHA or dihydroxiacetone is derived from sugar beets and has been FDA approved for topical application and used for tanning creams and in cosmetics since the 1960’s. When DHA comes in contact with the amino acids of the skin, it creates a natural chemical reaction that causes the skin to appear tanned.
Is it safe while I'm pregnant?
Please discuss with your health care provider. For a full list of ingredients click here.
Does airbrush tanning protect me from the sun?
NO! Sunless tanning DOES NOT protect you from the sun. It is recommended that a sunscreen be used at any time you go out into the sun.
How long does airbrush tanning last?
Depending on your skin type, a tan will last 7 to 12 days. Like a suntan, the sunless tan will fade gradually, as your skin exfoliates. However, you can help to extend your tan by using moisturizers daily.
How often can I tan?
Tanning can be performed every 7 days if desired. Airbrush tanning back to back on the same day, is not advised, as it does not give the DHA time to set between tans.
How many times does a person need to tan to achieve the color they want?
Everybody’s skin type and color is unique. A person will be tan after one session, but they may want an additional session to achieve a deeper shade of tan. Once they reach the desired color they should be able to maintain it by tanning once a week.
How long does it take for a session?
Full body sessions take less than 15 minutes, start to finish. A facial takes less than three minutes. The solution dries in minutes.
Will an airbrush tan cause freckles?
No, in fact, in most cases, freckles and blemishes will become less pronounced because the lighter skin areas are darkened to help skin color evenly.
Will airbrush tanning work on fair-skinned people?
Yes! I have very satisfied customers who were formerly lily white and now are completely satisfied with their color after airbrush tanning.
Do I have to take off all of my clothes for the application?
The FDA recommends that all users of DHA spray tanning services use protective undergarments. Male clients must wear some form of undergarment.
What is the cost of airbrush tanning?
Airbrush tanning is priced competitively with other forms of tanning. A single tan is priced at $40.00, with bulk packages available at a discounted rates. One application of airbrush tanning will quickly produce the equivalent color of approximately 8 tanning bed sessions; therefore making it cost effective.
How do I prepare for my tanning session?
Shower or bathe and exfoliate prior to your session. Since the chemical process affects only the top layer of skin, as your skin sloughs off, your tan can go with it. Your skin must be smooth, clean and dry to get a smooth, clean tan. NO LOTIONS PRIOR TO TANNING. Loofah sponges can cause streaking; we recommend pre-tan exfoliating with a rough wash cloth or exfoliating wash. Wear loose fitting, dark clothing and flip-flop shoes after your spray tan session. Tight or rough clothes, such as jeans will rub on your skin, and reduce the effect of your tan. The tanning solution may stain silk, wool and synthetic fabrics, so these should not be worn in the first 24 hours after the spray tan session.
How do I maximize my spray tan?
- Limit physical activity for 6-8 hours following your tanning session (12 hours for maximum results).
- Do not shower or get wet for at least 6-8 hours after tanning. DHA continues to react with the amino acids of your skin for up to 12 hours.
- Use a tan extending moisturizer on your skin morning and night between tans. The time of year will affect your skin, and therefore, your tan. Keep moisturized. Long hot baths or long showers are great for pre-tan exfoliation, but can cause a tan to fade prematurely. The skin soaks and softens with length of time exposed and this can speed up the exfoliation process.
- Only use a soft cloth for washing when you are tanned. Pat dry after showering or bathing. DO NOT RUB.
- Use a sharp, clean razor with a lubricating product, when shaving. Hair conditioner works well. (Avoid hair removal products ... Nair, Neet, wax, etc.)
- Avoid harsh soaps such as deodorant bar soap. Anti-acne products (including Retin-A type products) and makeup removal products may cause tan to fade.
- Avoid exfoliating scrubs, facial masks, and toners containing alcohol. Swimming in a chlorinated pool or hot tub can cause your tan to fade prematurely. The application of thick waterproof sun block, prior to swimming, may help reduce fading.
What if I am not satisfied with my tan?
I'm sure you'll love your tan! In fact, your satisfaction is guaranteed! If for any reason you are not completely happy with your tan, I will gladly tan you again for free within 3 days.
For a full list of ingredients click here.